Tuesday 18 December 2012

Majestic Bay Seafood Restaurant


Recently got invited to my very first food tasting event courtesy of a good friend, Nadia. The venue, Majestic Bay Seafood Restaurant that recently opened at Gardens by the Bay directly below Flower Dome. The Head Chef hails from Guang Zhou and bases his style of cooking as cantonese. I was excited, eager to try out the dishes. But at the same time, unsure of how to react or act in an unfamiliar setting. Well, let's get to the food!

 <Steamed Shanghai Pork Dumpling>

I was quite impressed with the freshness of of the ingredients used. The broth inside of the dumpling was light and not too porky. Maybe the dumpling skin could have been a little thinner which would have made it perfect. But overall, thumbs up! I rate this as one of my top 3 Pork Dumplings I've had so far.

 <Steamed Siew Mai>

It is light, fresh, tasty and it contains more prawns than pork. I would say this is typically a good Siew Mai. You can taste mushrooms and water chestnuts in it too. But overall, I wouldn't rate it as spectacular.

<Seared Chilli Crab Meat Bun> 

One of their signature and more unique dish of the night. And boy, was it good! The white sesame seeds and spring onion on the buns accentuated the taste to the next level. Inside it, the chilli crab meat was sweet, spicy and fresh. If I were to strictly pick on it, I think it could have done with more filling inside. I will definitely order this again the second time I visit this place.

 <Soup of the day>

They have daily soup as well as a fixed menu of soup. Today, we were served a soup combination of pork ribs, corn, green, red and white carrots boiled for 6 hours. (A.k.a ABC soup) At one glance, the soup looks very thick. But it is actually very light and heart-warming. Feels like home-cooked goodness. And the soup is really sweet too!

<Steamed Prawns with Garlic> 

Generally, I found the dish was typical. It was nice, garlic wasn't too overpowering and the prawns were fresh too. The best part about the dish is that the chef already split the prawns into half and there isn't any fuss about peeling the prawns at all.


 <Bay’s signature “Kopi” sauce Crab>

This was the highlight of the meal. Everyone was eagerly waiting for this unique combination of seafood and coffee. The chef actually took months to tried out various combinations of coffee before he finally perfected it using 3 different types of coffee beans. So how did it taste? The coffee taste was intensed, almost like caramelized popcorn. But we were still able to taste the sweetness and freshness of the crab. I think the chef did well with the combination as I initially feared that the taste of the crab will be lost. A must order if you decide to dine here!

 <Baked Seafood Rice>

Another of their signature dishes. It is sumptuous,divine and a die die must order if you dine here! The taste was perfect. Fresh seafood paired with slightly curried, cheesy rice. Mmm Mmmm! A pity the smallest size of the dish serves 4 to 6 people already. For the dish, you have mussels, scallops, prawns and mushrooms in there. But I think the chef can do away with the potatoes though. Haha I just feel that there is enough of carbs in the dish already. ^^

 <Wok-fried Radish Cake with XO chilli sauce>

Although this wasn't part of their signature dish, my first bite into it took my breath away. It is by far the best radish cake I've had in my life. The radish cake was soft and smooth, with bits of radish still present. Most importantly, you can still taste the real sweetness of the radish! Pair it off with the XO chilli sauce that packs a punch, it is dish that tickles your sense.

 <Sweet’s temptation>

To finish off the wonderful dinner, we were treated to a combination of sweet blessings. From left, you have red bean paste pancake, steam custard bun followed by glutinous rice dumpling with yam paste stuffing and finally glutinous rice dumpling with fresh cream stuffing. I personally liked the steam custard bun best followed by the rice dumpling with fresh cream stuffing. The one I liked least was the rice dumpling with yam paste as I found it too heavy to have as a dessert at the end. For me, I'll probably skip desserts and focus more on the main dishes if I decide to dine here a second time. ^^

Verdict
Ambience - Good
Food - Great
Cost - $20 to $40 per pax
Overall - Must try!

Address
Flower Dome, Gardens By The Bay, 18 Marina Gardens Drive #01-10, Singapore 018953
http://majesticbay.sg/

Opening Hours
Lunch (Mon-Fri) 11:45 am – 2:30pm
Lunch (Sat, Sun & PH) 11:30 am – 2:30pm
Dinner 5:45pm – 9:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...